If you’ve just bought a new upright carpet washer to clean the dirt and stains from your carpets, how can you ensure that you get the very best results?
Vax Expert says:
So you’ve got your new carpet cleaner home and can’t wait to use it to clean those dirty carpets. STOP!
Before you rush into using it, make yourself a cup of tea and sit down with the user guide and machine to familiarise yourself with both. If you’ve had a carpet washer in the past do not assume that your new one will work in the same way. A small amount of time doing this will save a lot of potential heartache and inconvenience later!
Once you’ve set up your machine and it’s ready to use, there are a few simple things to do that will ensure you get the very best out of it. These are:
- Vacuum the area to be cleaned fully, preferably with a vacuum cleaner that has a rotating brushbar. This will ensure the suction path for the dirty water on your machine won’t become clogged with debris and fluff, giving you more efficient cleaning.
- Try the machine in an unobtrusive area of carpet first, to check that your carpet is not affected by the solution, colour fastness, or the cleaning action of the machine.
- If you haven’t cleaned your carpets in the past, or they were done some time ago, then it’s advisable to use a pre-treatment cleaning solution. Some carpet washers include a pre-treatment kit, consisting of a bottle of solution and a wand to apply it to your carpet, or you may need to buy these separately. Follow the instructions on the pre-treatment solution bottle.
- Once the pre-treatment solution has had a chance to work, you can finally start to use the machine. To avoid walking on damp carpet, start at the end of the room farthest from the door.
- Now to the cleaning method. Start by squeezing the trigger to release the solution and, at the same time, slowly push the washer forward away from you. Continue to squeeze the trigger while slowly pulling the washer back towards you. Again, slowly push the washer forward, with the trigger squeezed, over the area that has just been covered and finally pull the washer back again still squeezing the trigger.
- Next, release the trigger and continue to use drying strokes, back and forward, until you see only a small amount of water being drawn-up into the dirty water tank.
- Continue to use the above technique, using straight, parallel strokes and also allow 3 centimetre overlaps to help prevent streaking, until the area to be cleaned has been done. Make sure that you keep the front nozzle flat on the floor, as if this lifts all suction will be lost.
- Do not over wet the carpet – ideally do not use more than four wet runs over any one area.
- The above is the same for when you use the accessory hose for your upholstery and stairs, except you should be more aware of how wet the upholstery is becoming. It’s always advisable to check that it’s safe to use the hose and attachments on your upholstery, before you try.
- Once you’ve finished cleaning, it’s advisable to wash out the water tanks until all the solution and dirt is removed. Once you’ve done this, fill the clean water tank with hand hot water only and then run your machine, with the trigger squeezed, to ensure the water tubes are purged of any solution. Ideally this should be done outside so that water doesn’t get into your newly cleaned carpets.
- Finally, leave the caps and lids off the tanks and remove any filters, if fitted, until your machine is completely dry before putting it into storage. If your machine has “brillo” type filters, store these separately until needed next time.
If you follow the above tips, you should find that your carpet washer will work perfectly time after time. Nothing beats using and maintaining the machine correctly to ensure you do a first class job every time. Enjoy!